Fireware 12.7 is now generally available, with a new simple integration between Authpoint and the Firebox. This new integration of two key products in the WatchGuard portfolio makes it easier to set up strong multi-factor authentication for VPNs through the Firebox. Security and convenience make this bundle a powerful tool for zero-trust implementations.
Direct Integration with Authpoint
We can’t trust passwords. They can be shared. Written down. Captured. Guessed. Cracked. Stolen. 80% of breaches involve lost or stolen credentials. Systems should be secured with strong authentication that requires more than one factor. The Firebox has been able to use Authpoint for MFA previously but the new direct integration with WatchGuard Cloud in Fireware 12.7 makes it simpler to setup and configure, since a Radius server is no longer required.
Other key points:
Fireware 12.7 includes other notable new features:
- Automatic updates of HTTPS exceptions. WatchGuard can add new entries to the general exception list without requiring firmware updates.
- 802.1p marking for VLAN interfaces, which is often required by ISPs to set up Quality of Service on internet connections.
- APT Blocker HTTP proxy server settings: Allows use of APT Blocker in environments where HTTP traffic is going through a general proxy server
- APT Blocker control over pdf files: Enables admins to have more granular control of file types sent to cloud.
- DHCP lease counts - Provides more information so that the admin can understand the current network status.
Does this release affect me?
Fireware 12.7 is available for:
- T Series: T20, T40, T55, T70, and T80
- M Series: M270, M370, M400, M440, M470, M500, M570, M670, M4600, M5600, M4800, and M5800
- FireboxV and Firebox Cloud
WatchGuard has also released Fireware 12.5.7 Update 2 for:
- Firebox T10, T15, T30, T35, T50, T55, T70, M200, M300.
Update 2 includes a new SSL version to address vulnerabilities, CVE-2021-3449 and CVE-2021-3450, that is also included in v12.7. Release Notes have full detail.
How to upgrade
Firmware upgrades are included at no charge with active WatchGuard support subscriptions. The easiest approach is to use WatchGuard Cloud to schedule upgrades for one or many systems. Individual systems can be upgraded directly from within the WebUI. Admins may also download the applicable packages from the WatchGuard Software Download Center.
For Sales or Support questions, you can find phone numbers for your region online. If you contact WatchGuard Technical Support, please have your registered appliance Serial Number or Partner ID available.