WatchGuard offers customers and partners the opportunity to take technical certification exams. These exams are offered at Kryterion testing centers worldwide, or through their online proctoring service. If you’re interested in certification, we recommend you review the frequently-asked questions list below.
WatchGuard offers these technical certification exams. All exams are available in English, French, German, Japanese, European Spanish, and Latin American Spanish.
- Network Security Essentials for Locally-Managed Fireboxes – This exam tests your knowledge of basic networking and how to configure, manage, and monitor a locally-managed WatchGuard Firebox.
- Network Security Essentials for Cloud-Managed Fireboxes – This exam tests your knowledge of basic networking and how to configure, manage, and monitor a cloud-managed WatchGuard Firebox.
- Identity Security Essentials (formally named Multi-Factor Authentication Essentials) – This exam covers basic authentication technology concepts and how to set up, configure, and manage WatchGuard AuthPoint.
- Secure Wi-Fi Essentials with WatchGuard Cloud – This exam covers general wireless concepts, and and how to manage WatchGuard access points in WatchGuard Cloud.
- WatchGuard Endpoint Security Essentials – This exam covers basic WatchGuard Endpoint Security with Patch Management, Full Encryption, and the Advanced Reporting Tool.
Go to the WatchGuard Exam Registration Site. There will be an option to “Create new account” in the top-right corner. After your exam account is created, you’ll be able to register for a technical certification exam.
WatchGuard offers technical certification exams at authorized Kryterion testing centers worldwide. If it is not convenient for you to travel to a testing center, you can also use Kryterion's online proctoring service to take an exam from your home or office.
You can register by going to the WatchGuard Exam Registration Site. All exams are scheduled based on the time zone associated with the address used when your exam account is created. Make sure to select the appropriate AM/PM time since there could be time slots available throughout the day and night.
All exams are US $200 and can be paid with any major credit card. You pay Kryterion for the exam when you register to take the exam. The price is the same whether you go to a Kryterion testing center or take the exam through Kryterion's online proctoring system. Each test taker must create their own account and the exam must be registered and paid for while logged in as that test taker.
By law, Kryterion is required to collect appropriate tax in many jurisdictions around the world. This tax will be calculated based on the location of the scheduled exam session at time of purchase and will be added to the total exam cost. If your company is tax exempt, please email Tax@kryteriononline to confirm, mark your account exempt, and process refunds.
Hands-on experience is the best way to prepare. We also provide a Study Guide (login required) for each exam. These guides can be found in the WatchGuard Learning Center and they supplement the basic recorded video training available. They also include a description of the exam, information on what to study to prepare for the exam, and several sample exam questions.
No. We do include sample questions in the exam section of the Study Guide we provide for each exam. These sample questions help you understand what kind of questions you can expect to see on the exam. The exam section of the Study Guide also includes important information on the content that we test on and we recommend you review it closely. These guides can be found in the WatchGuard Learning Center (login required).
Note that there are some online sites that offer WatchGuard practice exams but these sites do not work with WatchGuard and are not reliable.
The Launch button appears 10 minutes before the exam is scheduled to start and remains visible for 20 minutes, or until you click it to begin. For more details see the Kryterion provided guide: How to Launch an Online Proctored exam.
Yes, and we recommend that you allow at least 24 hours between the time you schedule an online proctored exam and when you take the exam to make sure you have met all requirements. You can find detailed information on these requirements in the Kryterion Test Taker Guide. To summarize:
- Install the secure browser software, which will lock your computer down during the exam to prohibit the use of computer test aids.
- Create a biometric profile based on facial recognition. Make sure no other people show in the background of your photo.
- You can use either an internal laptop webcam OR an external webcam for your online proctored exams.
- Verify your computer OS and installed applications support the online proctoring process.
- Make sure your desk area is clear and your mobile phone is not accessible. You may be required to remove and show all sides of watches, bracelets, any large jewelry, or eye glasses to make sure they are not technology-enabled. For more information, see the Kryterion Guide: How to Prepare for an Online Exam Pre-check.
- During the exam, you cannot speak out loud and/or interact with other people.
You can contact Kryterion Support directly by creating a case with the Kryterion Candidate Community Case Form HERE. This form includes a “Live Chat” option.
You must bring two (2) forms of personal identification (ID) that match the name used to register for the exam.. Both forms of ID must have your signature, and one of the two forms of ID must have your photo. Valid forms of identification include: current driver's license, current passport, or equivalent. Food, laptops, backpacks, notepads, pens, or other personal equipment are NOT allowed in the test area.
Please note that during the exam check-in process, you will be asked to turn out exterior pockets (on jackets, jeans, slacks, etc.) to verify that the pockets are either empty or that they do not contain any prohibited items. You may be required to remove and show all sides of watches, bracelets, any large jewelry, or eye glasses to make sure they are not technology-enabled.
No reference material or study aids are allowed when you take the exam.
You must achieve a score of at least 75% to pass.
You will receive your exam results appear on the screen immediately. You will also see high level feedback in a section-by-section percentage score format. If you pass the exam, you receive an email that includes a PDF certificate and a link to download an email signature you can use to promote your certification. If you are a WatchGuard Partner and pass the exam, it can take several days for your technical certification to appear in the Partner Portal.
If you fail an exam, you can take it again at the one-time retake cost of US $100. Subsequent attempts are US $200. To request a coupon code for the one-time 50% retake discount, email [email protected]. There is no waiting period between failing an exam and trying again.
To maintain the integrity of the exam, we do not provide detailed information on your exam answers. High-level feedback is provided at the end of your exam in a section-by-section percentage score format.
Certification is valid for two years. To renew your certification, you must retake the exam.
When you purchase an exam, you get an automatic confirmation email as your receipt. To generate an invoice, from your exam account, select Generate Receipts. If your PDF receipt does not automatically generate, make sure automatic downloads are enabled for your browser. See the Generate Exam Receipt instructions for more details.
You can reschedule or cancel your exam from your exam account My Exams tab. The policy to reschedule or cancel an exam is different depending on the exam delivery type.
- Online Proctored Exams: If you cancel or reschedule your exam within 24 hours of the scheduled exam time, Kryterion will charge a fee of $55 USD.
- Onsite Proctored Exams at Kryterion Test Centers: If you cancel or reschedule your exam within 72 hours of the scheduled exam time, Kryterion will charge a fee of $85 USD.
If you miss your scheduled exam appointment, you forfeit your exam payment and are not eligible for a refund.
Refunds are granted by our exam delivery partner, Kryterion, when you cancel your exam with 72 hours notice for onsite exams and with 24 hours notice for online exams. No other refund requests are granted.
WatchGuard will provide disability accommodations on request. Contact us for further information.