A backup image is a file that you can use to restore your Firebox back to a previous state. Backup images include the configuration file, certificates, passphrases, feature key, and other information unique to your Firebox.
In Fireware v12.2.1 and higher, when you upgrade the version of Fireware OS on your Firebox, a backup image is saved to the Firebox automatically. We recommend that you also regularly save a backup image of your Firebox before you make significant changes to your configuration.
Backup images saved in Fireware v12.2.1 and higher do not include the Fireware OS and are saved directly to the Firebox. Backup images saved in Fireware v12.2 and lower include the Fireware OS and are saved to a location off the Firebox.
You can also save backup images to a connected USB drive. Backup images saved to a USB drive can include the Fireware OS. In Fireware v12.3 and higher, you can designate a backup image saved on the USB drive as the backup image to restore automatically when your Firebox is in recovery mode.
In Fireware v12.5.2 and higher, the Firebox configuration can be backed up and restored using WatchGuard Cloud. For more information, go to Manage Firebox Backup Images in WatchGuard Cloud.
For more information about how to back up and restore the Firebox, go to:
- See Backup Images Stored on the Firebox
- Save a Firebox Backup Image
- Restore a Firebox Backup Image
- Export a Backup Image Stored on the Firebox
- Import a Backup Image to the Firebox
- Delete a Firebox Backup Image
- Manage Firebox Backup Images in WatchGuard Cloud
- Use a USB Drive for System Backup and Restore
- USB Drive Directory Structure
- Automatically Restore a Backup Image from a USB Drive
- Save a Backup Image to a USB Drive Connected to Your Computer