On the System Settings > Configuration page, you can configure the settings for a remote SSH FTP server where Dimension can save a backup file of the log data in the Dimension server database.
If you do not already have an SSH FTP server to use for backup files, you must install and configure an SSH FTP server before you can configure the Remote Backup settings for Dimension. You can use any SSH FTP server for Dimension backup files, such as FreeBSD 9.3.
The SSH FTP server you specify must support:
- SSH protocol version 2 (SSH-2)
- RSA key-based authentication
Examples of SSH FTP servers that meet these requirements include:
- The sftp server included with FreeBSD
- The OpenSSH server included with Ubuntu 12.04 (1:5.9p1-5ubuntu1.1)
- The default OpenSSH server for Windows 10 and Windows Server 2019
With the release of Windows 10 v1809 and Windows Server 2019, the default OpenSSH server for Windows has improved security, and requires some setup to work with Dimension backup and restore. For more information, see How to configure a Windows OpenSSH server for Dimension backup in the WatchGuard Knowledge Base.
Before you begin, make sure that you have this information for the SSH FTP server:
- The IP address or host name of the server
- The user name for connections to the server
- The directory path where backup files are saved
To unlock the configuration so you can make changes, click .
For more information about how to unlock and lock the Dimension configuration, see Lock and Unlock the Dimension Configuration.
To configure the settings for remote backup:
- In the Remote Backup section, select the Enable remote backups check box.
- In the Host Name text box, type the IP address or host name of the SFTP server.
- In the Port text box, type or select the port to use to connect to the SFTP server.
- In the User Name text box, type the user name to use to connect to the SFTP server.
- In the Directory Path text box, type the path to the directory on the SFTP server to save the backup file.
You must use the forward slash character ( / ) not the backslash character ( \ ) in the directory path.
- From the Public Key text box, copy the SSH key and add it to the list of authorized SSH keys on the SFTP server.
- To verify that your settings are correct and that Dimension can connect to the SFTP server, click Test.
- Click Save.
After you configure the Remote Backup settings, you can configure the Database Backup settings for your instance of Dimension to enable Dimension to automatically create a backup file of all the log data. You can also restore the backup log file to your Dimension database. For more information, see Configure General Server Settings.