Both the Total Security Suite and Basic Security Suite include a subscription for WatchGuard Cloud. The subscription enables the Firebox to send log messages to WatchGuard Cloud, and determines the default retention period for Firebox data in WatchGuard Cloud.
- Total Security Suite includes WatchGuard Cloud with 30 days of data retention
- Basic Security Suite includes WatchGuard Cloud with 1 day of data retention
You can assign a Data Retention license to a Firebox to extend the data retention period. In Device Manager, the Device Summary page for the Firebox shows the feature key status and expiration date, and the data retention period.
If a Firebox has a Data Retention license, the Data Retention period shows two separate numbers. The first number is the default data retention period associated with the license on the Firebox. The second number is the number of days added by an assigned Data Retention license.
Total Security or Basic Security Feature Key Expiration
On the Firebox, the WatchGuard Cloud service appears in the feature key as Dimension Basic. The feature has an expiration date controls whether the Firebox can connect to WatchGuard Cloud.
To avoid loss of data, we recommend that you renew the Total Security Suite or Basic Security Suite subscription and update the feature key on the Firebox before the subscription expires.
To avoid gaps in WatchGuard Cloud log data when the subscription expires, WatchGuard Cloud includes a seven-day grace period after the license expires.
During the seven-day grace period:
- The Firebox continues to send log messages to WatchGuard Cloud
- Log and report data remains in WatchGuard Cloud for the default data retention period associated with the subscription (30 days or 1 day) plus any additional days provided by a Data Retention license
After the seven-day grace period:
- The default data retention period is reduced to 0, and a process automatically removes all log messages and reports, unless the Firebox has a Data Retention License assigned.
- If the Firebox has a Data Retention license, historical log and report data remain in WatchGuard Cloud for the number of days provided by the Data Retention license.
Data Retention License Expiration and Grace Period
Data Retention is a service and has an expiration date. You assign the Data Retention license to a Firebox in WatchGuard Cloud and does not appear in the Firebox feature key. You can see the expiration of the Data Retention license on the Administration page in your WatchGuard Cloud account. for more information, see Manage Data Retention Licenses.
If a Data Retention license assigned to a Firebox expires, there is a seven-day grace period before WatchGuard Cloud removes stored Firebox log and report data. After the grace period, the data retention for the Firebox reverts back to the default value associated with the Total Security Suite or Basic Security Suite subscription. For a Firebox with Total Security Suite and a Data Retention license, seven days after the Data Retention License expires, WatchGuard Cloud permanently removes any data older than 30 days. For more information, see WatchGuard Cloud and Data Retention License Expiration.
To avoid loss of data, we recommend that you renew the Data Retention license before it expires. To renew a Data Retention license, activate a new license and select the option to extend the term of the existing license. For more information, see Activate a Data Retention License.