This document describes how to set up multi-factor authentication (MFA) for MobileIron with AuthPoint as an identity provider. MobileIron must already be configured and deployed before you set up MFA with AuthPoint.
MobileIron can be configured to support MFA in several modes. For this integration, we set up SAML with AuthPoint.
MobileIron Authentication Data Flow with AuthPoint
AuthPoint communicates with various cloud-based services and service providers with the SAML protocol. This diagram shows the data flow of an MFA transaction for MobileIron.
Before You Begin
Before you begin these procedures, make sure that:
- End-users can log in to MobileIron
- A token is assigned to a user in AuthPoint
- You have an AuthPoint identity provider (IdP) certificate (see Certificate Management)
To start, you must download the metadata file from the Certificate Management page in the AuthPoint management UI. Once you have that, you can configure MobileIron.
- Log in to WatchGuard Cloud.
- From the navigation menu, select Configure > AuthPoint. If you have a Service Provider account, you must first pivot to your Subscriber view.
- Select Resources.
- Click Certificate.
- Next to AuthPoint certificate you will associate with your resource, click and select Download Metadata.
We recommend that you choose the certificate with the latest expiration date.
The AuthPoint metadata provides your resource, in this case MobileIron, with information necessary to identify AuthPoint as a trusted identity provider.
- Log in to MobileIron as an administrator.
- Select Admin > Infrastructure > Identity.
- From the Select a supported IdP Provider drop-down list, select Generic.
- Follow the configuration steps.
- Download the MobileIron metadata file. You need the information in this file to configure a SAML resource in AuthPoint.
- At step 3 of the configuration, upload the AuthPoint metadata file you downloaded previously.
- When you see File successfully added, click Done. The values are loaded automatically.
- (Optional) You can add users that are allowed to bypass MFA. The administrator is added by default.
Before AuthPoint can receive authentication requests from MobileIron, you must specify the MobileIron client as a SAML resource in AuthPoint. You must also assign an access policy for the MobileIron resource to the user group(s) that must authenticate to log in.
Add a SAML Resource in AuthPoint
From the AuthPoint management UI:
- From the navigation menu, select Resources.
- From the Choose a Resource Type drop-down list, select SAML. Click Add Resource.
- On the SAML page, in the Name text box, type a name for this resource.
- From the Application Type drop-down list, select MobileIron. If this application is not listed, select Other.
- In the Service Provider Entity ID text box, type the entityid copied from the MobileIron metadata file.
- In the Assertion Consumer Service text box, type the ACS value copied from the MobileIron metadata file.
- From the AuthPoint Certificate drop-down list, select the certificate to associate with your resource.
We recommend that you choose the certificate with the latest expiration date. For more information, see Certificate Management.
- Click Save.
Add an Access Policy to AuthPoint
You must have at least one user group in AuthPoint for authentication with MobileIron, and you must assign an access policy for the MobileIron resource to that group. If you already have a group, you do not have to add another group.
In the AuthPoint management UI:
- From the navigation menu, select Groups.
- To add a new group, click Add Group. If you already have a group that you want to use, select the group to edit it.
- In the Name text box, type a descriptive name for the group.
- (Optional) In the Description text box, type a description of the group.
- In the Access Policy section, click Add Policy.
- In the Add Policy dialog box, from the Resource drop-down list, select the resource you want to add an access policy for.
- (Optional) To require that users type their password before they authenticate for this resource, enable the Require Password Authentication toggle.
- Select the authentication options that users in this group can select from when they authenticate.
For SAML resources, if you select more than one authentication option, users must select one of the available options when they authenticate. For example, if you select OTP and Push, users can choose to type their OTP or approve a push to authenticate. You cannot require that they do both.
- Click Add.
- (Optional) Add one or more safe locations to your group. For more information about safe locations and detailed instructions to add them, see About Safe Locations.
- Click Save.
Before you assign users to a group, you must add the users to AuthPoint. You can manually add user accounts or import user accounts from an external user database. For more information on how to add user accounts, see Add User Accounts.
Test the Integration
To test AuthPoint MFA with MobileIron, you can authenticate with a mobile token on your mobile device. For SAML resources, you can choose any method (push, QR code, or one-time password).
In this example, we show the push authentication method (users receive a push notification in the mobile app that they must approve to authenticate).
- In a web browser, go to the MobileIron URL.
- Type your email address or AuthPoint user name. Click Next.
- If required, in the Password text box, type your password.
- For the authentication method, select Push.
- Click Send.
- Approve the authentication request that is sent to your mobile device.
You are logged in to MobileIron.