This document describes how to set up multi-factor authentication (MFA) for Digicert with AuthPoint as an identity provider. Digicert must already be configured and deployed before you set up MFA with AuthPoint.
Digicert can be configured to support MFA in several modes. For this integration, we set up SAML with AuthPoint.
Digicert Authentication Data Flow with AuthPoint
AuthPoint communicates with various cloud-based services and service providers with the SAML protocol. This diagram shows the data flow of an MFA transaction for a Digicert.
Before You Begin
Before you begin these procedures, make sure that:
- End-users can log in to Digicert
- A token is assigned to a user in AuthPoint
- You have an AuthPoint identity provider (IdP) certificateAn AuthPoint IdP certificate is required for SAML authentication. (see Certificate Management)
To start, you must get the metadata file URL from the Resources page in the AuthPoint management UI. Once you have this, you can configure Digicert.
From the WatchGuard Cloud web UI:
- From the navigation menu, select Configure > AuthPoint. If you have a Service Provider account, you must first pivot to your Subscriber view.
- Select Resources.
- Click Certificate.
- Next to AuthPoint certificate you will associate with your resource, click and select Copy Metadata URL.
We recommend that you choose the certificate with the latest expiration date.
The AuthPoint metadata provides your resource, in this case Digicert, with information necessary to identify AuthPoint as a trusted identity provider.
- Log in to Digicert as an administrator.
- Select Settings > Single Sign-On.
- Click Edit Federation Settings.
- For How will you send data from your IDP, select Use a dynamic URL and paste the metadata URL you copied from AuthPoint.
- For How will you identify a user, select NameID.
- In the Federation Name text box, type AuthPoint.
- Click Save & Finish.
- Copy the Dynamic URL for DigiCert's SP Metadata on this page and go to that URL in a new tab.
- Copy the EntityID and ACS values. These values are used to configure the Digicert resource in AuthPoint.
Before AuthPoint can receive authentication requests from Digicert, you must specify the Digicert client as a SAML resource in AuthPoint. You must also assign the Digicert resource to the user group that will authenticate through Digicert.
Add a SAML Resource in AuthPoint
From the AuthPoint management UI:
- From the navigation menu, select Resources.
- From the Choose a Resource Type drop-down list, select SAML. Click Add Resource.
- In the Service Provider Entity ID text box, type https://www.digicert.com/account/sso/metadata.
- In the Assertion Consumer Service text box, type https://www.digicert.com/account/sso/.
- Click Save.
Add an Access Policy to AuthPoint
You must have at least one user group in AuthPoint for authentication with Digicert, and you must assign an access policy for the Digicert resource to that group. If you already have a group, you do not have to add another group.
In the AuthPoint management UI:
- From the navigation menu, select Groups.
- To add a new group, click Add Group. If you already have a group that you want to use, select the group to edit it.
- In the Name text box, type a descriptive name for the group.
- (Optional) In the Description text box, type a description of the group.
- In the Access Policy section, click Add Policy.
- In the Add Policy dialog box, from the Resource drop-down list, select the resource you want to add an access policy for.
- (Optional) To require that users type their password before they authenticate for this resource, select the Require Password Authentication slider.
- Select the authentication options that users in this group can choose from when they authenticate.
For SAML resources, if you select more than one authentication option, users must choose one of the available options when they authenticate. For example, if you select OTP and Push, users can choose to type their OTP or approve a push to authenticate. You cannot require that they do both.
- Click Add.
- (Optional) Add one or more safe locations to your group. For more information about safe locations and detailed instructions to add them, see About Safe Locations.
- Click Save.
Before you assign users to a group, you must add them to AuthPoint. You can manually add user accounts or import user accounts from your LDAP database. For more information on how to add user accounts, see Add User Accounts.
Test the Integration
To test the integration of AuthPoint and configuration of your Digicert, you can authenticate with a mobile token on your mobile device. You can choose any method (one-time password, QR code, or push).
In this example, we show the push authentication method (users receive a push notification in the mobile app that they must approve to authenticate).
- In a web browser, go to the Digicert URL.
- Type your email address or AuthPoint user name. Click Next.
- If required, in the Password text box, type your AuthPoint password.
- For the authentication method, select Push.
- Click Send.
- Approve the authentication request that is sent to your mobile device.
You are logged in to Digicert.