This document describes how to set up multi-factor authentication (MFA) for Datadog with AuthPoint as an identity provider. Datadog must already be configured and deployed before you set up MFA with AuthPoint.
Datadog can be configured to support MFA in several modes. For this integration, we set up SAML with AuthPoint.
Datadog Authentication Data Flow with AuthPoint
AuthPoint communicates with various cloud-based services and service providers with the SAML protocol. This diagram shows the data flow of an MFA transaction for Datadog with the SAML protocol.
Before You Begin
Before you begin these procedures, make sure that:
- End-users can log in to Datadog
- A token is assigned to a user in AuthPoint
- You have an AuthPoint identity provider (IdP) certificate
To start, you must download the metadata file from the Resources page in the AuthPoint management UI. Once you have that, you can configure Datadog.
From the WatchGuard Cloud web UI:
- From the navigation menu, select Configure > AuthPoint. If you have a Service Provider account, you must first pivot to your Subscriber view.
- Select Resources.
- Click Certificate.
- Next to AuthPoint certificate you will associate with your resource, click and select Download Metadata.
We recommend that you choose the certificate with the latest expiration date.
The AuthPoint metadata provides your resource, in this case Datadog, with information necessary to identify AuthPoint as a trusted identity provider.
- Log in to Datadog as an administrator.
- Click your user name and select Configure SAML.
- Click Choose File and browse to the AuthPoint metadata file you downloaded.
- Click Upload File.
- Click Enable.
- Copy the Service Provider Entity ID and Assertion Consumer Service URL values. You must provide these values when you create the SAML resource in AuthPoint.
Before AuthPoint can receive Datadog authentication requests from Datadog, you must specify the Datadog client as a SAML resource in AuthPoint. You must also assign that SAML resource to the user group that will authenticate through Datadog.
Add a SAML Resource in AuthPoint
From the AuthPoint management UI:
- From the navigation menu, select Resources.
- From the Choose a Resource Type drop-down list, select SAML. Click Add.
- In the Service Provider Entity ID text box, type https://app.datadoghq.com/account/saml/metadata.xml.
- In the Assertion Consumer Service text box, type https://app.datadoghq.com/account/saml/assertion.
- Click Save.
Add an Access Policy to AuthPoint
You must have at least one user group in AuthPoint for authentication with Datadog, and you must assign an access policy for the Datadog AuthPoint resource to that group. If you already have a group, you do not have to add another group.
In the AuthPoint management UI:
- Select Groups.
- To add a new group, click Add. If you already have a group that you want to use, click the Name of your group to edit it.
- In the Name text box, type a descriptive name for the group.
- (Optional) In the Description text box, type a description of the group.
- In the Access Policy section, click Add Policy.
- In the Add Policy dialog box, from the Resource drop-down list, select the resource you want to add an access policy for.
- (Optional) To require that users type their password before they authenticate for this resource, select the Require Password Authentication slider.
- Select which authentication options users in this group can choose from when they authenticate.
For SAML resources, if you select more than one authentication option, users must choose one of the available options when they authenticate. For example, if you select OTP and Push users can choose whether to type their OTP or approve a push to authenticate, but you cannot require that they do both.
- Click Add.
- (Optional) Add one or more safe locations to your group. For more information about safe locations and detailed instructions to add them, see About Safe Locations.
- Click Save.
Before you can assign users to a group, you must add them to AuthPoint. You can either manually add user accounts, or import user accounts from your LDAP database. For more information about how to add user accounts, see Add User Accounts.
Test the Integration
To test the integration of AuthPoint and Datadog, you can authenticate with a mobile token on your mobile device. You can choose any method (one-time password, QR code, or push).
In this example, we show the push authentication method (users receive a push notification in the mobile app that they must approve to authenticate).
- In a web browser, go to the Datadog URL.
- Type your email address or AuthPoint user name. Click Next.
- If required, in the Password text box, type your AuthPoint password.
- For the authentication method, select Push.
- Click Send.
- Approve the authentication request that is sent to your mobile device.
You are logged in to <third party tool>.