This document describes how to set up multi-factor authentication (MFA) for Cybele Thinfinity Remote Desktop with AuthPoint as an identity provider. Cybele Thinfinity Remote Desktop must already be configured and deployed before you set up MFA with AuthPoint.
Cybele Thinfinity Remote Desktop can be configured to support MFA in several modes. For this integration, we set up SAML with AuthPoint.
This integration was tested with Cybele Thinfinity Remote Desktop Server v126.96.36.199.
Cybele Thinfinity Remote Desktop Authentication Data Flow with AuthPoint
AuthPoint communicates with various cloud-based services and service providers with the SAML protocol. This diagram shows the data flow of an MFA transaction for Cybele Thinfinity Remote Desktop.
Before You Begin
Before you begin these procedures, make sure that:
- End-users can log in to Cybele Thinfinity Remote Desktop
- A token is assigned to a user in AuthPoint
- You have an AuthPoint identity provider (IdP) certificate (see Certificate Management)
Configure Cybele Thinfinity Remote Desktop
To start, you must download the metadata file from the Certificate Management page in the AuthPoint management UI. After you have that, you can configure Cybele Thinfinity Remote Desktop.
- Log in to WatchGuard Cloud.
- From the navigation menu, select Configure > AuthPoint. If you have a Service Provider account, you must select an account from Account Manager.
- Select Resources.
- Click Certificate.
- Next to AuthPoint certificate you will associate with your resource, click and select Download Certificate and Download Metadata. We recommend that you choose the certificate with the latest expiration date.
The AuthPoint metadata provides your resource, in this case Cybele Thinfinity Remote Desktop, with information necessary to identify AuthPoint as a trusted identity provider.
- Open Cybele Thinfinity Remote Desktop Server Manager.
- Select the Security tab.
- For Access Profile, select Authentication.
Additional tabs appear.
- Select the Authentication tab.
- Clear the Allow anonymous access check box.
- Click Add and select SAML.
The Authentication Method Settings window opens.
- Type a name for this configuration.
- Provide the following information:
- Service Identifier: Type your Thinfinity Remote Desktop Instance URL.
- Service Certificate File: Type the path to your Thinfinity service certificate file. This should include a private key.
- Service Certificate Password: Type the password for your certificate.
- Identification Entity ID:Open the AuthPoint metadata file that you downloaded and type or paste the entityID value in this text box.
- Single Sign-On Service URL: Open the AuthPoint metadata file that you downloaded and type or paste the SingleSignOnService URL value in this text box.
- Sign-Out URL: Open the AuthPoint metadata file that you downloaded and type or paste the SingleLogOutService URL value in this text box.
- Partner Certificate File: Type the path to the AuthPoint certificate file that you downloaded.
- Click OK.
- In the Thinfinity Remote Desktop Server Manager window, select the Mappings tab.
- In the Authentication ID Mask section, click Add.
The Authentication ID Mask window appears.
- In the ID mask text box, type the email address for an AuthPoint user in your account.
- From the Method drop-down list, select SAML.
- Click OK.
- From the Associated Permissions tab, click Add.
- Select a user from your host machine or Active Directory to grant the same permissions to AuthPoint users.
- Click Apply, then click Close.
Before AuthPoint can receive authentication requests from Cybele Thinfinity Remote Desktop, you must add a SAML resource in AuthPoint. You must also assign an access policy for the Cybele Thinfinity Remote Desktop resource to the user group(s) that must authenticate to log in.
Add a SAML Resource in AuthPoint
From the AuthPoint management UI:
- From the navigation menu, select Resources.
- From the Choose a Resource Type drop-down list, select SAML. Click Add Resource.
- On the SAML page, in the Name text box, type a name for this resource.
- From the Application Type drop-down list, select Cybele Thinfinity Remote Desktop. If this application is not listed, select Others.
- In the Service Provider Entity ID text box, type <Your Thinfinity Remote Desktop Instance URL>.
- In the Assertion Consumer Service text box, type <Your Thinfinity Remote Desktop Instance URL>/SAMLAssertionConsumerService.
- From the AuthPoint Certificate drop-down list, select the certificate to associate with your resource. This must be the same certificate that you downloaded the metadata for in the previous section.
- Click Save.
Add an Access Policy to AuthPoint
You must have at least one user group in AuthPoint for authentication with Cybele Thinfinity Remote Desktop, and you must assign an access policy for the Cybele Thinfinity Remote Desktop resource to that group. If you already have a group, you do not have to add another group.
In our example, we create a new AuthPoint group and add an access policy to that group.
In the AuthPoint management UI:
- From the navigation menu, select Groups.
- To add a new group, click Add Group. If you already have a group that you want to use, select the group to edit it.
- In the Name text box, type a descriptive name for the group.
- (Optional) In the Description text box, type a description of the group.
- In the Access Policy section, click Add Policy.
- In the Add Policy dialog box, from the Resource drop-down list, select the resource you want to add an access policy for.
- (Optional) To require that users type their password before they authenticate for this resource, enable the Require Password Authentication toggle.
- Select the authentication options that users in this group can select from when they authenticate.
For SAML resources, if you select more than one authentication option, users must select one of the available options when they authenticate. For example, if you select OTP and Push, users can choose to type their OTP or approve a push to authenticate. You cannot require that they do both.
- Click Add.
- (Optional) Add one or more safe locations to your group. For more information about safe locations and detailed instructions to add them, see About Safe Locations.
- Click Save.
Add Users to AuthPoint
Before you assign users to a group, you must add the users to AuthPoint. There are two ways to add AuthPoint user accounts:
- Sync users from an external user database
- Add local AuthPoint users
Each user must be a member of a group. You must add at least one group before you can add users to AuthPoint.
To import users from Active Directory, Azure Active Directory, or an LDAP database, you must add an external identity in the AuthPoint management UI. External identities connect to user databases to get user account information and validate passwords.
- To sync users from Active Directory or an LDAP database, you must add an LDAP external identity
- To sync users from Azure Active Directory, you must add an Azure AD external identity
When you sync users from an external user database, you can sync any number of users and they are all added to AuthPoint at one time. Users synced from an external user database use the password defined for their user account as their AuthPoint password.
You can create local AuthPoint users on the Users page in the AuthPoint management UI. Because you can create only one user at a time, you most commonly do this when you want to create test users or to add only a small number of users.
Unlike users synced from an external user database, local AuthPoint users define and manage their own AuthPoint password. When you add a local user account, the user receives an email that prompts them to set their password.
To learn how to add local AuthPoint user accounts, see Add Local AuthPoint Users.
Test the Integration
To test AuthPoint MFA with Cybele Thinfinity Remote Desktop, you can authenticate with a mobile token on your mobile device. For SAML resources, you can choose any method (push, QR code, or one-time password).
In this example, we show the push authentication method (users receive a push notification in the mobile app that they must approve to authenticate).
- In a web browser, go to the Cybele Thinfinity Remote Desktop URL.
- Click Login with SAML.
You are redirected to the AuthPoint authentication page.
- Type your email address or AuthPoint user name. Click Next.
- If required, in the Password text box, type your password.
- For the authentication method, select Push.
- Click Send.
- Approve the authentication request that is sent to your mobile device.
You are logged in to Cybele Thinfinity Remote Desktop.