This document describes how to set up multi-factor authentication (MFA) for Stride® with AuthPoint as an identity provider. Stride must already be configured and deployed before you set up MFA with AuthPoint.
Stride can be configured to support MFA in several modes. For this integration, we set up SAML with AuthPoint.
Stride Authentication Data Flow with AuthPoint
AuthPoint communicates with various cloud-based services and service providers with the SAML protocol. This diagram shows the data flow of an MFA transaction for Stride.
Before You Begin
Before you begin these procedures, make sure that:
- End-users can log in to Stride
- A token is assigned to a user in AuthPoint
- You have an AuthPoint identity provider (IdP) certificate (see Certificate Management)
To start, you must download the metadata file from the Resources page in the AuthPoint management UI. Once you have the metadata file, you can configure Stride.
- Log in to WatchGuard Cloud.
- From the navigation menu, select Configure > AuthPoint. If you have a Service Provider account, you must first pivot to your Subscriber view.
- Select Resources.
- Click Certificate.
- Next to AuthPoint certificate you will associate with your resource, click and select Download Metadata.
We recommend that you choose the certificate with the latest expiration date.
The AuthPoint metadata provides your resource, in this case Stride, with information necessary to identify AuthPoint as a trusted identity provider.
- Log in to your Stride account as an administrator and go to the admin console.
- Select Security.
- Verify your domain. If you have already added and verified a domain, continue to the next step.
- From the navigation menu, select SAML single sign-on.
- Click Edit configuration.
- Open the AuthPoint metadata file you downloaded and find the entityID, X509Certificate, and SingleSignOnService Location values.
- In Stride, in the Identity provider Entity ID text box, paste the entityID value from the AuthPoint metadata file.
- In the Identity provider SSO URL text box, paste the SingleSignOnService Location value from the AuthPoint metadata file.
- In the Public x509 certificate text box, paste the X509Certificate value from the AuthPoint metadata file.
- Click Save Configuration.
- Copy the values in the SP Entity ID and SP Assertion Consumer Service URL text boxes. These values are necessary to create the SAML resource in AuthPoint. We recommend that you keep this page open while you create your SAML resource in the next section.
Before AuthPoint can receive authentication requests from Stride, you must specify the Stride client as a SAML resource in AuthPoint. You must also assign an access policy for the Stride resource to the user group that will authenticate through Stride.
Add a SAML Resource in AuthPoint
From the AuthPoint management UI:
- From the navigation menu, select Resources.
- From the Choose a Resource Type drop-down list, select SAML. Click Add Resource.
- In the Service Provider Entity ID text box, type https://auth.atlassian.com/saml/<your id>. This is the SP Entity ID value from the SAML single sign-on page in Stride.
- In the Assertion Consumer Service text box, type https://auth.atlassian.com/login/callback?connection=saml-<your id>. This is the SP Assertion Consumer Service URL value from the SAML single sign-on page in Stride.
- Click Save.
Add an Access Policy to AuthPoint
You must have at least one user group in AuthPoint for authentication with Stride, and you must assign an access policy for the Stride resource to that group. If you already have a group, you do not have to add another group.
In the AuthPoint management UI:
- From the navigation menu, select Groups.
- To add a new group, click Add Group. If you already have a group that you want to use, select the group to edit it.
- In the Name text box, type a descriptive name for the group.
- (Optional) In the Description text box, type a description of the group.
- In the Access Policy section, click Add Policy.
- In the Add Policy dialog box, from the Resource drop-down list, select the resource you want to add an access policy for.
- (Optional) To require that users type their password before they authenticate for this resource, enable the Require Password Authentication toggle.
- Select the authentication options that users in this group can select from when they authenticate.
For SAML resources, if you select more than one authentication option, users must select one of the available options when they authenticate. For example, if you select OTP and Push, users can choose to type their OTP or approve a push to authenticate. You cannot require that they do both.
- Click Add.
- (Optional) Add one or more safe locations to your group. For more information about safe locations and detailed instructions to add them, see About Safe Locations.
- Click Save.
Before you assign users to a group, you must add the users to AuthPoint. You can manually add user accounts or import user accounts from an external user database. For more information on how to add user accounts, see Add User Accounts.
Test the Integration
To test the integration of AuthPoint and configuration of Stride, you can authenticate with a mobile token on your mobile device. You can choose any method (one-time password, QR code, or push).
In this example, we show the push authentication method (users receive a push notification in the mobile app that they must approve to authenticate).
- In a web browser, go to the Stride URL.
The AuthPoint single sign-on page appears.
- Type your email address or AuthPoint user name. Click Next.
- If required, in the Password text box, type your password.
- For the authentication method, select Push.
- Click Send.
- Approve the authentication request that is sent to your mobile device.
You are logged in to Stride .