This document describes how to set up multi-factor authentication (MFA) for KnowBe4® with AuthPoint as an identity provider. KnowBe4 must already be configured and deployed before you set up MFA with AuthPoint.
KnowBe4 can be configured to support MFA in several modes. For this integration, we set up SAML with AuthPoint.
KnowBe4 Authentication Data Flow with AuthPoint
AuthPoint communicates with various cloud-based services and service providers with the SAML protocol. This diagram shows the data flow of an MFA transaction for KnowBe4.
Before You Begin
Before you begin these procedures, make sure that:
- End-users can log in to KnowBe4
- A token is assigned to a user in AuthPoint
- You have an AuthPoint identity provider (IdP) certificate (see Certificate Management)
KnowBe4 support handles all SAML configurations. To configure AuthPoint MFA for KnowBe4, you must open a ticket with KnowBe4 support and provide them with the AuthPoint metadata file and fingerprint.
- Log in to WatchGuard Cloud.
- From the navigation menu, select Configure > AuthPoint. If you have a Service Provider account, you must first pivot to your Subscriber view.
- Select Resources.
- Click Certificate.
- Next to AuthPoint certificate you will associate with your resource, click and select Download Metadata.
We recommend that you choose the certificate with the latest expiration date.
The AuthPoint metadata provides your resource, in this case KnowBe4, with information necessary to identify AuthPoint as a trusted identity provider.
- Next the same certificate, click and select Copy Fingerprint.
- From the Algorithm drop-down list, select SHA1.
- Click Copy to copy the formatted or unformatted fingerprint.
- Open a ticket with KnowBe4 support to enable SAML. Provide KnowBe4 support with the AuthPoint metadata file and the copied fingerprint.
- To check your SAML status in KnowBe4, navigate to Account Settings > SAML. You can see if SAML is enabled or disabled.
You must reference the values on this page when you create a SAML resource in AuthPoint. We recommend that you leave this page open.
Before AuthPoint can receive authentication requests from KnowBe4, you must specify the KnowBe4 client as a resource in AuthPoint. You must also assign the KnowBe4 resource to the user group that will authenticate through KnowBe4.
Add a SAML Resource in AuthPoint
From the AuthPoint management UI:
- From the navigation menu, select Resources.
- From the Choose a Resource Type drop-down list, select SAML. Click Add Resource.
- On the SAML page, in the Name text box, type a name for this resource.
- From the Application Type drop-down list, select KnowBe4.
- In the Service Provider Entity ID text box, type KnowBe4.
- In the Assertion Consumer Service text box, type https://eu.knowbe4.com/auth/saml/<your account specific number>/callback. This is the Sign in URL from your KnowBe4 SAML settings. To find this in KnowBe4, navigate to Account Settings > SAML.
- In the Logout URL text box, type https://eu.knowbe4.com/auth/saml/<your account specific number>/logout>. This is the Sign out URL from your KnowBe4 SAML settings.
- Click Save.
Add an Access Policy to AuthPoint
You must have at least one user group in AuthPoint for authentication with KnowBe4, and you must assign an access policy for the KnowBe4 resource to that group. If you already have a group, you do not have to add another group.
In the AuthPoint management UI:
- From the navigation menu, select Groups.
- To add a new group, click Add Group. If you already have a group that you want to use, select the group to edit it.
- In the Name text box, type a descriptive name for the group.
- (Optional) In the Description text box, type a description of the group.
- In the Access Policy section, click Add Policy.
- In the Add Policy dialog box, from the Resource drop-down list, select the resource you want to add an access policy for.
- (Optional) To require that users type their password before they authenticate for this resource, enable the Require Password Authentication toggle.
- Select the authentication options that users in this group can select from when they authenticate.
For SAML resources, if you select more than one authentication option, users must select one of the available options when they authenticate. For example, if you select OTP and Push, users can choose to type their OTP or approve a push to authenticate. You cannot require that they do both.
- Click Add.
- (Optional) Add one or more safe locations to your group. For more information about safe locations and detailed instructions to add them, see About Safe Locations.
- Click Save.
Before you assign users to a group, you must add the users to AuthPoint. You can manually add user accounts or import user accounts from an external user database. For more information on how to add user accounts, see Add User Accounts.
Test the Integration
To test the integration of AuthPoint and configuration of your KnowBe4, you can authenticate with a mobile token on your mobile device. You can choose any method (one-time password, QR code, or push).
In this example, we show the push authentication method (users receive a push notification in the mobile app that they must approve to authenticate).
- In a web browser, go to the KnowBe4 URL.
- Type your email address or AuthPoint user name. Click Next.
- If required, in the Password text box, type your password.
- For the authentication method, select Push.
- Click Send.
- Approve the authentication request that is sent to your mobile device.
You are logged in to KnowBe4.