This document describes how to set up multi-factor authentication (MFA) for IT Glue™ with AuthPoint as an identity provider. IT Glue must already be configured and deployed before you set up MFA with AuthPoint.
IT Glue can be configured to support MFA in several modes. For this integration, we set up SAML with AuthPoint.
IT Glue Authentication Data Flow with AuthPoint
AuthPoint communicates with various cloud-based services and service providers with the SAML protocol. This diagram shows the data flow of an MFA transaction for IT Glue.
Before You Begin
Before you begin these procedures, make sure that:
- End-users can log in to IT Glue
- A token is assigned to a user in AuthPoint
- You have an AuthPoint identity provider (IdP) certificateAn AuthPoint IdP certificate is required for SAML authentication. (see Certificate Management)
Configure IT Glue
To start, you must download the metadata file from the Resources page in the AuthPoint management UI. Once you have the metadata file, you can configure IT Glue.
- Log in to WatchGuard Cloud.
- From the navigation menu, select Configure > AuthPoint. If you have a Service Provider account, you must first pivot to your Subscriber view.
- Select Resources.
- Click Certificate.
- Next to AuthPoint certificate you will associate with your resource, click and select Download Metadata.
We recommend that you choose the certificate with the latest expiration date.
The AuthPoint metadata provides your resource, in this case IT Glue, with information necessary to identify AuthPoint as a trusted identity provider.
- Next the same certificate, click and select Copy Fingerprint.
- From the Algorithm drop-down list, select SHA1.
- Click Copy to copy the formatted or unformatted fingerprint. This value is used to configure MFA in IT Glue.
- In a new tab or window, log into IT Glue as an administrator.
- From the navigation menu, select Account > Settings
- Select the Authentication tab.
- Select Enable SAML SSO.
- In the Fingerprint text box, paste the fingerprint you copied from AuthPoint.
- Open the AuthPoint metadata file you downloaded and find the entityID, X509Certificate, SingleSignOnService Location, and SingleLogoutService Location values.
- In IT Glue, in the Issuer URL text box, paste the entityID value from the AuthPoint metadata file.
- In the SAML Login Endpoint URL text box, paste the SingleSignOnService Location value from the AuthPoint metadata file.
- In the SAML Logout Endpoint URL text box, paste the SingleLogoutService Location value from the AuthPoint metadata file.
- In the Certificate text box, paste the X509Certificate value from the AuthPoint metadata file.
- Click Save.
Before AuthPoint can receive authentication requests from IT Glue, you must add a SAML resource for IT Glue in AuthPoint. You must also assign the IT Glue SAML resource to the AuthPoint user group that will authenticate through IT Glue.
Add a SAML Resource in AuthPoint
From the AuthPoint management UI:
- From the navigation menu, select Resources.
- From the Choose a Resource Type drop-down list, select SAML. Click Add Resource.
- On the SAML page, in the Name text box, type a name for this resource.
- From the Application Type drop-down list, select Other.
- In the Service Provider Entity ID text box, type https://<your subdomain>.itglue.com.
- In the Assertion Consumer Service text box, type https://<your subdomain>.itglue.com/saml/consume.
- Click Save.
Add an Access Policy to AuthPoint
You must have at least one user group in AuthPoint for authentication with IT Glue, and you must assign an access policy for the IT Glue resource to that group. If you already have a group, you do not have to add another group.
In the AuthPoint management UI:
- From the navigation menu, select Groups.
- To add a new group, click Add Group. If you already have a group that you want to use, select the group to edit it.
- In the Name text box, type a descriptive name for the group.
- (Optional) In the Description text box, type a description of the group.
- In the Access Policy section, click Add Policy.
- In the Add Policy dialog box, from the Resource drop-down list, select the resource you want to add an access policy for.
- (Optional) To require that users type their password before they authenticate for this resource, select the Require Password Authentication toggle.
- Select the authentication options that users in this group can choose from when they authenticate.
For SAML resources, if you select more than one authentication option, users must choose one of the available options when they authenticate. For example, if you select OTP and Push, users can choose to type their OTP or approve a push to authenticate. You cannot require that they do both.
- Click Add.
- (Optional) Add one or more safe locations to your group. For more information about safe locations and detailed instructions to add them, see About Safe Locations.
- Click Save.
Before you assign users to a group, you must add them to AuthPoint. You can manually add user accounts or import user accounts from your LDAP database. For more information on how to add user accounts, see Add User Accounts.
Test the Integration
To test AuthPoint MFA with IT Glue, you can authenticate with a mobile token on your mobile device. You can choose any method (one-time password, QR code, or push).
In this example, we show the push authentication method (users receive a push notification in the mobile app that they must approve to authenticate).
- In a web browser, go to the IT Glue URL.
- Type your email address or AuthPoint user name. Click Next.
- If required, in the Password text box, type your password.
- For the authentication method, select Push.
- Click Send.
- Approve the authentication request that is sent to your mobile device.
You are logged in to ITGlue.