Protect Endpoints with DNSWatchGO Client
With DNSWatchGO Client, you can extend the protection of DNSWatch when your users leave the safety of your network. Simply install the client application on computers that leave your network, then use DNSWatch in any browser to configure and apply policies. DNSWatchGO takes control of the DNS requests for each device and applies both content filtering and security policies. For more information about DNSWatchGO Client deployment, see About DNSWatchGO Client
To get started with DNSWatchGO Client:
Step 1 — Download and install DNSWatchGO Client on a portable device
- Log in to your DNSWatch account in the WatchGuard Portal.
- Select Deploy > DNSWatchGO Clients.
- Click Download DNSWatchGO Installer.
- If prompted, save the installer package to an appropriate location.
- To copy the token to the clipboard, in the Account API token for DNSWatchGO Client section, click .
If you have more than one token, it does not matter which token you copy.
- Browse to the saved location and double-click the DNSWatchGO_Client executable to begin the installation.
- In the DNSWatchGO Client Setup wizard, click Next.
The Client Configuration page appears.
- To paste the account API token in the text box, press Ctrl+V. Click Next.
The Ready to Install DNSWatchGO Client page appears.
- To begin the installation, click Install.
- When setup is complete, click Finish.
Your device is now protected from malicious sites and phishing attempts. To block content by categories such as gambling or alcohol, you need to create a content filter policy.
Step 2 — Create a content filter policy
The content filter policy blocks domains based on content categories. For more information about content filter policies, see Manage User Access to Content.
- Select Configure > Content Filtering Policies.
The Content Filtering Policies page appears.
- In the Policies tab, click Create New Policy.
The Create Policy page appears.
- In the Policy Name text box, type a descriptive name for the policy and click Save Policy.
- If you want to enable Safe Search enforcement, select the Enable Safe Search check box.
- Click Save Policy.
The Edit Policy: General page appears.
- Select the Categories tab.
The Edit Policy: Categories page appears.
- Select the check boxes for the categories you want to filter. To see subcategories, click the arrow to the right of the category name. When you select a top-level category, its subcategories are automatically selected. If you do not want to block that category, clear the check box. For a complete list of available categories and descriptions, see About DNSWatch Content Filter Categories.
- Click Save Categories.
Step 3 — Test DNSWatchGO Client protection
With DNSWatchGO Client installed on a portable device, such as a laptop, users cannot view domains in blocked categories or that appear in the malicious domains feed.
It is important to perform the test when the device is not connected to a DNSWatch protected network.
- In your browser, go to test.strongarm.io.
- Confirm the correct block page appears.
If DNSWatch correctly blocks the test domain, you see this block page:
If DNSWatch does not operate correctly, you see this message:
To protect your network, configure your local DNS server to use the DNSWatch DNS servers. For more information about how to configure your network to use DNSWatch, see About DNSWatchGO Protected Networks.