WatchGuard Endpoint Security solutions incorporate tools to locate unprotected workstations and servers, and initiate a remote unattended installation from the management UI. Remote installation is only compatible with Windows platforms.
To use discovery and remote installation, make sure these requirements are met:
- UDP port 21226 and 137 must be open in the firewall for the system process.
- TCP port 445 must be open in the firewall for the system process.
- NetBIOS over TCP/IP and DNS resolution must be enabled in the network.
- Administrative shares required in destination computers (Admin$).
- UAC remote restrictions must be disabled.
- Domain administrator (DOMAIN\administrator) or local built-in administrator (MACHINENAME\Administrator) credentials are required.
- Remote administration in the destination computer must be enabled. Go to Control Panel > System and Security > System > Remote settings and make sure the option to allow remote connections is enabled.
- Turn on network discovery and file and printer sharing. Go to Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center > Change advanced sharing settings and select Turn on network discovery and Turn on file and printer sharing.
- Only broadcast domain (subnet) machines will be discovered.
- Discovery through various VLANs might generate erroneous information because of the presence of intermediate routers. We recommend you have a discovery computer for each VLAN that uses this feature.
- Windows Home versions do not have administrative shares enabled by default.
How Remote Discovery Works
This image shows how the discovery computer searches a network with subnets and evaluates whether to add a computer to the Undiscovered Computers list.