The Titania Nipper Studio® is a configuration auditing tool, which helps you harden and secure vital network devices, such as firewalls, switches and routers. This document describes the steps to import the Firebox configuration in to Titania Nipper Studio to view an audit report.
Platform and Software
The hardware and software used to complete the steps outlined in this document include:
- XTMv installed with Fireware v11.12.4
- Titania Nipper Studio 22.214.171.12486
Titania Nipper Studio should be installed and you should have access to the WatchGuard Firebox configuration file in XML format through one of the methods below.
Retrieve the WatchGuard Firebox Configuration File
Fireware Web UI
- Log in to Fireware Web UI at https://<IP of the firewall>:8080. You can use the status, admin, or any other account that has the correct rights.
- Navigate to System > Configuration File.
- Click Download the Configuration File.
The file <firewall_name>.xml.gz is downloaded. You must extract the XML file with a gzip utility like 7-zip.
WatchGuard Policy Manager
- Open WatchGuard System Manager.
- Click and connect to a Firebox
.The selected device appears in the Device Status tab.
- Select the Firebox and click .
Policy Manager appears with the current configuration file for the device.
- From the Device Status tab, select the device you want and select Tools > Policy Manager.
- In Policy Manager, select File > Save > As File. Here you are given the option to browse to a different location to save the XML file. The default location is My Documents\My Watchguard\configs directory.
Import XML File to Titania
- To install Titania Nipper Studio see Nipper Studio Beginners Guide 2.2.pdf. If this is the first installation of Nipper Studio, you must have the license Serial Number and Activation Code. If the Nipper Studio is already installed, go to step 3.
- Accept the license agreement. After the license activation is complete click Finish.
The Nipper Studio page appears.
- On the home page, select New Report.
- Click Add File. Navigate to the Firebox configuration file you downloaded in the previous section and click Open.
The New Report dialog box appears.
- Click Next. A list of reporting options is presented:
- Security Audit
- Vulnerability Audit
- CIS Benchmarks
- STIG Compliance
- SANS Policy Compliance
- PCI Audit
- Filtering Complexity
- Configuration Report
- Raw Configuration
- Raw Change Tracking
- Select the report options you want. Click Next.
The option to compare with a preconfigured Nipper Studio report appears.
- Click Next. The Create Report progress bar appears.
- When the report is created, click Finish. The Audit Report appears.