You can use WatchGuard APs to add wireless access to your network. WatchGuard offers these wireless security solutions for WatchGuard APs:
- Basic Wi-Fi — Use the Gateway Wireless Controller on your Firebox to configure, manage, and monitor WatchGuard APs directly from the Firebox.
- Secure Wi-Fi — Use WatchGuard Wi-Fi Cloud for WatchGuard AP management, security, and monitoring.
- Total Wi-Fi — Use WatchGuard Wi-Fi Cloud for WatchGuard AP management, security, and monitoring. Provides additional tools for guest user engagement, analytics, social media integration, captive portals, and splash page design.
WatchGuard AP Management
There are two ways you can manage a WatchGuard AP:
WatchGuard Firebox Gateway Wireless Controller
You can use Gateway Wireless Controller on your Firebox to configure, manage, and monitor WatchGuard APs directly from the Firebox. You can connect multiple WatchGuard APs to the trusted, optional, or custom networks of a Firebox, and manage them from the Gateway Wireless Controller on the Firebox.
WatchGuard Wi-Fi Cloud
WatchGuard Wi-Fi Cloud is a powerful cloud-based enterprise wireless management solution for WatchGuard AP configuration, security, and monitoring. For more information on WatchGuard Wi-Fi Cloud, see Wi-Fi Cloud Management.
WatchGuard APs Managed by a Gateway Wireless Controller
WatchGuard APs enable you to add wireless access to the networks that are protected by your Firebox. To add wireless access to your network, you can simply connect one or more WatchGuard APs to a trusted, optional, or custom network on your Firebox. Then you use the Gateway Wireless Controller on the Firebox to discover, configure, and manage the APs. The network security policies already configured on your Firebox automatically apply to wireless users.
You can then configure the APs and SSIDs to meet the requirements of your wireless network.
- To increase the wireless range of your network and support wireless roaming you can use the same SSID on multiple APs.
- To support different groups of wireless users, you can configure your APs to use more than one wireless SSIDs.
- You can optionally enable VLAN tagging in your SSIDs, and then use the VLANs in your policies to create more specific rules for your wireless users, based on the SSID that they connect to.
The procedures in this document describe how to use Fireware Web UI to configure your Firebox and APs. You could also use Policy Manager to complete these steps.
This document includes the information you must know for the initial deployment of a WatchGuard AP on your network. For a more comprehensive reference to all AP functionality, see Fireware Help.