Create and Connect a PPTP Mobile VPN for Windows 8
You can use the Windows 8 VPN client to make an PPTP VPN connection to a WatchGuard Firebox.
Create a PPTP Connection
To prepare a Windows 8 client computer, you must configure the PPTP connection in the network settings.
The exact steps could be slightly different depending on your Control Panel view, and your existing configuration.
- In the Windows 8 Start page, type control panel. Click Control Panel in the search results.
- In Control Panel, click Network and Internet.
- In the right pane, click Network and Sharing Center.
The Network and Sharing Center appears.
- Select Set up a new connection or network
The New Connection Wizard starts.
- Click Connect to a workplace and click Next.
The Connect to a workplace page appears.
- If your computer has an existing workplace connection, select No, create a new connection and click Next.
The How do you want to connect dialog box appears.
- Click Use my Internet connection (VPN).
The Type the Internet address to connect to page appears.
- In the Internet address text box, type the hostname or IP address of the Firebox external interface.
- In the Destination name text box, type a name for the Mobile VPN (such as "PPTP to Firebox").
- Click Create.
The new connection is added to the Connections list.
- In the Connections list, right click the connection name.
- Select View Connection Properties.
- Select the Security tab.
- In the Type of VPN drop-down list, select Point to Point Tunneling Protocol (PPTP).
- Click OK.
Start the PPTP Connection
The name of the VPN connection in the steps below is the destination name you used when you configured the PPTP connection on the client computer. The user name and password refers to one of the users you added to the PPTP-Users group.
For more information about the PPTP-Users group, see:
Make sure your computer has an active connection to the Internet before you begin.
- From the Windows 8 Start page, move the mouse to the lower right corner of the screen to see the charm menu.
- Select Settings.
- Select Network.
The Connections list appears.
- In the Connection list, select the name of this VPN connection you created. Click Connect.
The Connect page appears.
- Type your user name and password.
- Click OK.