Create and Connect a PPTP Mobile VPN for Windows 10
You can use the Windows10 VPN client to make an PPTP VPN connection to a WatchGuard Firebox.
Create a PPTP Connection
To prepare a Windows 10 client computer, you must configure the PPTP connection in the network settings.
The exact steps could be slightly different depending on your Control Panel view, and your existing configuration.
- From the Windows 10 Start Menu, click Settings.
- Click Network & Internet.
- On the left navigation menu, select VPN.
- Click Add a VPN connection.
- In the VPN provider text box, select Windows (built-in).
- In the Connection name text box, type a name for the Mobile VPN (such as "PPTP VPN").
- In the Server name or address text box, type the DNS name or IP address for the Firebox external interface.
- From the VPN Type drop-down list, select Point to Point Tunneling Protocol (PPTP).
- Click Save.
The VPN is added to the VPN settings page.
Start the PPTP Connection
The name of the VPN connection in the steps below is the destination name you used when you configured the PPTP connection on the client computer. The user name and password refers to one of the users you added to the PPTP-Users group.
For more information about the PPTP-Users group, see:
Make sure your computer has an active connection to the Internet before you begin.
- In the Windows notification area (System Tray), click the Network icon.
A list of available networks and VPNs appears.
- Click the VPN connection.
The Network & Internet VPN settings appear.
- Select the VPN connection. Click Connect.
The Connect page appears.
- Type your user name and password.
- Click OK.