Manually Configure L2TP on an iOS Device
Apple Mac OS X 10.6 and 10.7, and iOS devices include a native VPN client. You can use this client to make an L2TP VPN connection to a Firebox.
The WatchGuard Mobile VPN app for iOS is the easiest way to set up an L2TP VPN connection from iOS devices. The Mobile VPN app imports an end-user profile to the native iOS VPN client. For more information, see About L2TP Connections from an iOS Device.
If you do not want to install the WatchGuard Mobile VPN app on the iOS device, you can manually configure the L2TP VPN connection in the native iOS VPN client.
Manually Configure L2TP VPN on an Apple iOS iPhone or iPad
The account and password refers to one of the users you added to the L2TP-Users group. For more information, see About L2TP User Authentication.
To configure the L2TP connection, on an iPhone or iPad:
- Select Settings > General > Network > VPN
- Click Add VPN Configuration.
- In the Description text box, type a name for the VPN connection.
- In the Server text box, type the external IP address of the Firebox to connect to.
- In the Account text box, type your user name as it appears in the authentication server that you use for Mobile VPN with L2TP user authentication.
- Set the RSA SecurID setting to OFF.
- In the Password text box, type the password of the user.
- In the Secret text box, type the pre-shared key for this tunnel. The pre-shared key must match the pre-shared key configured on the Firebox Mobile VPN with L2TP IPSec settings.
- Set the Send All Traffic setting to ON.
- For the Proxy setting, select OFF.
Start the L2TP Connection
The name of the VPN connection is the service name you used when you configured the L2TP connection on the client computer.
To start the L2TP connection:
- On the iOS device. select Settings > General > VPN.
- Select the L2TP VPN profile to use.
- Turn on the VPN to start the connection.