Configure WINS and DNS Servers
Mobile VPN clients use shared Windows Internet Name Server (WINS) and Domain Name System (DNS) server addresses. DNS translates host names into IP addresses, while WINS resolves NetBIOS names to IP addresses. These servers must be accessible from the Firebox or Firebox trusted interface. Make sure you use only an internal DNS server.
For more information about how DNS is used for lookups over a mobile VPN connection, see DNS and Mobile VPNs.
In the network configuration, you can specify WINS and DNS servers to use. DNS forwarding is not supported for mobile VPN clients.
Although you can add up to three DNS servers, the mobile VPN clients use only the first two in the list.
- Select Network > Interfaces.
The Interfaces configuration page appears.
- In the DNS Server or WINS Server text box, type the primary and secondary address for each DNS or WINS server.
- Click Add.
- (Optional) Repeat Steps 2–3 to specify up to three DNS servers.
- Click Save.
- Select Network > Configuration.
The Network Configuration dialog box appears.
- Select the WINS/DNS tab.
The information on the WINS/DNS tab appears.
- In the DNS Servers text box, type the IPv4 or IPv6 address for each DNS server.
- Click Add.
- (Optional) Repeat Steps 3–4 to specify up to three DNS servers.
- In the WINS Servers text boxes, type the primary and secondary IPv4 address of the WINS servers.
- Click OK.
For IPSec Mobile VPN clients, the Domain Name specified in the network DNS settings on the Firebox is not used as a domain name suffix. You can specify a DNS domain name suffix in the VPN client. For more information, see:
- Configure DNS in the WatchGuard IPSec Mobile VPN client
- Configure DNS in the Shrew Soft IPSec VPN client